Thank you for your interest in volunteering for His Mountaintop Ministries Therapeutic/Adaptive Horsemanship.
Our riding therapy session volunteers fill a special role in the therapy sessions. Each rider receives one thirty or forty -minute riding session per week tailored to his/her individual needs. The riders enjoy and look forward to seeing their volunteers week after week. Many friendships and special bonds are formed during these sessions. This program is a rewarding and exciting experience for both the rider and the volunteer.
If you are interested in volunteering please download the application and handbook below:
Currently we are needing:
- Groomer: Volunteer should have equine background and experience or willingness to learn. Arrive at the arena one half hour prior to session in order to groom and tack horses. Volunteer needs to attend a Grooming and Tacking InService before he/she can perform this role. Volunteer needs to be at least 14 years old.
- Sidewalker: Volunteer will walk beside the horse and rider. Some light jogging may be necessary when trotting. Usually, two sidewalkers are used for each rider; one on either side of the horse. Riding sessions are for 30-45 minute intervals. Volunteer should be in good health and mentally alert. Volunteer needs to be at least 14 years old, at discretion of Therapist.
- Horse Leader: Volunteer should have equine background and experience. This person is in charge of the horse until the instructor releases him/her from duty. The leader is responsible for controlling the horse’s pace and movements in response to the rider’s ability. Volunteer should be in good health so that he/she can keep up with the horse at a brisk walk or jog when trotting. Volunteer needs to be at least 16 years old.
- Grooming Station Monitor: Volunteer should have equine background and experience or willingness to learn. Volunteer will assist riders in grooming at the grooming station. Volunteer needs to attend a Grooming and Tacking In-Service before he/she can perform this role. Volunteer needs to be at least 16 years old, unless they have approval from the instructor on duty.
- Arena Monitor: Volunteer is responsible for coordinating sidewalkers and horse leaders with riders. Volunteer is present during the entire riding session and becomes familiar with the riders, families and volunteers for that riding session. Volunteer needs to be at least 16 years old.
- Arena Assistant: Volunteer is responsible for assisting with the gates, toys and props for the children, etc. Volunteer needs to be at least 14 years old.